If you have students who are enthusiastic about leadership and eager to better their community, encourage them to run for Oregon’s Kid Governor®! The election for Oregon’s Kid Governor® is open to all 5th grade students enrolled in a public, private, parochial, magnet, charter, tribal, or homeschool program in the state of Oregon. Each school or group in Oregon is eligible to offer one (1) candidate to run for the position of Oregon’s Kid Governor®. Classes may choose to participate without nominating a candidate as a “Voting Only” class. If multiple students in your class/school are interested in running for office, we suggest holding class-wide and 5th grade-wide primaries.
Student candidates must review the official Rules & Regulations.
Students interested in running for office must agree to serve as Oregon’s Kid Governor® for a full year beginning in January following their election.
Candidate videos must:
- Include the student’s first name (please no reference to last name, school or town in the video).
- Include why the candidate wants to be Oregon’s Kid Governor®, what leadership qualities they have, what community issue is important to them and why, and a 3-point plan outlining ways for Oregon 5th graders to make a difference around that issue.
- Be at least one minute but no more than three minutes in length.
- Be in one of the following formats: .mp4, .mov, .avi, or .wmv.
- Be an original creation.
Candidate videos MUST NOT:
- Identify the school, i.e. show a school name or mascot on a building, clothing, signage or other media.
- Use music that is copyrighted (i.e. music played on the radio or purchased online/in store). Royalty-free music websites such as FreePlayMusic.com offer songs that can be used without violating copyright.
Contain inappropriate or offensive content.
- Include audio, images or footage of other students who do not have parental/guardian permission. Each student in the candidate’s class must submit a signed Photography & Video Release for Non-Candidate Students OR the Principal’s Comprehensive Consent and Signature Page from the Rules & Entry Forms, along with the candidate’s submission.
The winner of the Oregon’s Kid Governor® election will serve from January to December. There will be opportunities throughout the term for the Kid Governor to meet people and share the winning campaign platform and ways to take action.
- Inauguration ceremony (January 2022).
- Create videos to share with constituents and students about the community issue.
- Maintain a blog about the issue and action being taken by students statewide to make a difference.
- Meet and speak with students and adults across the state.
- Participate in programs and events with the Office of the Secretary of State, Kid Governor®, and other groups.
- Have a special Oregon’s Kid Governor® office in Salem.
The above are the official duties of the Kid Governor®. Anything the successful candidate would like to do outside of these responsibilities, in an official role as Oregon’s Kid Governor®, requires express written approval of the Office of the Secretary of State.