If you have students who are enthusiastic about leadership and eager to better their community, encourage them to run for Oregon’s Kid Governor! The election for Oregon’s Kid Governor is open to all 5th grade students enrolled in a public, private, parochial, magnet, charter, tribal, or homeschool program in the state of Oregon. Each school or group in Oregon is eligible to offer one (1) candidate to run for the position of Oregon’s Kid Governor. Classes may choose to participate without nominating a candidate as a “Voting Only” class. If multiple students in your class/school are interested in running for office, we suggest holding class-wide and 5th grade-wide primaries.
Student candidates must review the official Rules & Entry Forms.
The winner of the Oregon’s Kid Governor election will serve from January to December. There will be opportunities throughout the term for the Kid Governor to meet people and share the winning campaign platform and ways to take action.
- Inauguration ceremony (January 2024).
- Create videos to share with constituents and students about the community issue.
- Maintain a blog about the issue and action being taken by students statewide to make a difference.
- Meet and speak with students and adults across the state.
- Participate in programs and events with the Office of the Secretary of State, Kid Governor, and other groups.
The above are the official duties of the Kid Governor. Anything the successful candidate would like to do outside of these responsibilities, in an official role as Oregon’s Kid Governor, requires express written approval of the Office of the Secretary of State.